Leaks, Blocks and Breaks

Service Laterals

Service laterals are the pipes that run through your yard to connect water and sewer services to the plumbing in your home. Just as you own and maintain the landscaping, driveway, and maybe a block wall on your property, you also own and are responsible for maintaining certain portions of the water and sewer service laterals that run through your property.

These laterals that run through your property to the main pipe in the street is the responsibility of the property owner. If you experience a water leak, blocked pipe or pipe break at any point on your side of your water or sewer service connection, you are responsible for repairs for all associated costs. If the leak, blockage or break occurs on the City’s side of the water or sewer service connection, the City is responsible for the repairs.

If you suspect you have a problem with your service many of the plumbers who work in the City are familiar with working us and we encourage you to check the yellow pages or you can go to the Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce.  We recommend that you obtain at least 3 quotes.  

If your situation is an emergency, even if on your private property, we are here to help and assist.  If you suspect you have a problem with service in your home you can contact the Engineering Department at (518) 587-3550, ext 2623 and we can help guide you in your next steps.

  1. Department of Public Works

    Physical Address
    474 Broadway, Ste 12
    Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

  2. Kate Halliday

    Admin Asst - Engineering
    Phone: 518-587-3550, ext. 2623