Filing a Claim with the City

What to do if a claim happens to you as a community member:

It is very important for each of us as responsible community members to purchase insurance that best suits our own personal circumstances. As we purchase insurance, it is important to know what we have purchased and what may be covered under our insurance. Information on our personal insurance should be kept in a safe place that can be easily accessed in the event of an emergency situation and/or claim. Keep emergency contact information handy and available in multiple places.

If you experience a loss, it is important for you to take the following steps to ensure your loss is properly reported and covered by your insurance:

  1. Take care of yourself and your family members first. Make sure you and your family are safe and out of danger.
  2. Call 911 as necessary to report fire, theft, or other law enforcement matters including motor vehicle accidents.
  3. Take pictures of your damages as you find them. Document your damage including the date, time, weather conditions, contributing conditions, and any other information that helps outline the loss you are experiencing.
  4. Call your insurance agent and/or your insurance hotline claim telephone number to report your claim and obtain the resources available to you under your insurance policy. Your insurance agent is a professional you should rely on to help you work through your claim and get you the resources you and your family need to continue to maintain a safe and healthy living environment.

How to Complete a Claim Against the City of Saratoga Springs

If you wish to file a claim against the City of Saratoga Springs, New York you must take the following steps:

  1. Contact the City of Saratoga Springs’ Police Department and file a police report as appropriate.
  2. Obtain a copy of the police report.
  3. File a formal claim against the City of Saratoga Springs by stating what your claim and damages are on the form provided on the City’s Risk and Safety Website and send it along with a copy of the police report pertaining to your claim and estimates of your damage, pictures and any other information you feel relevant to your claim to the following address:

Office of Risk and Safety
City of Saratoga Springs
474 Broadway
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

The City of Saratoga Springs will report your claim upon receipt of your information to its insurance company.

Please be advised verbal complaints and/or claims may not be made against the City and may not be legally taken. You must place your complaint in writing in accordance with NYS Municipal Law so that we may assist you with your claim.

Thank you.