Zoning Ordinance Guide for Peddling & Vending

Peddling and Vending requires a License, per Chapter 165 of the City Code.  The Peddling & Vending Application is available from the City Clerk's office.

"Vending" is interpreted as an extension of “eating & drinking” or “retail” in the City's Zoning Ordinance, and is regulated as such.

The table below is a guide to the zoning districts where vending MAY be permitted, depending on the activity. It summarizes the reviews required for compliance with the City’s Zoning Ordinance.  The Office of Planning & Economic Development is available to assist you.  To schedule a pre-application meeting, please contact the Land Use Board Coordinator at (518) 587-3550 x2533.

Steps to compliance:

  1. Determine if you are in one of the districts below that allow vending and identify the reviews required.
  2. Complete the Peddling & Vending Application, along with the applicable Land Use Board applications, and submit them with the fees to the Office of Planning & Economic Development.
  3. Upon receiving the Notice of Determination(s) from the Land Use Board(s) for the reviews above, take your completed Vending & Peddling Application to the Accounts Department for processing.

Land Use Board Reviews

Zoning Districts Planning Board
Special Use Permit
Planning Board
Site Plan
Design Review Commission
Architectural Review
Neighborhood Complimentary Use 1
Yes Yes Yes
Tourist Related Business
No Yes Yes
Water Related Business
No Yes Yes
Highway/General Business
No Yes Yes
Transect 4 Urban Neighborhood
Yes Yes Yes
Transect 5 Neighborhood Center
Yes Yes Yes